Thursday, March 12, 2015

Nana's Gluten Free Multigrain Cornbread


My Nana first introduced this wonderful recipe to my family and I on Thanksgiving - and we have made it many times since! My favorite way to eat it is with the addition of cranberries and corn mixed into the batter and extra cranberry orange jam spread on top. This cornbread is a combination of hearty, tasty, and healthy! It's perfect for holiday meals, as a snack, or as an accompany to an meal. A little sprig of mint on top gives it an extra something special too, enjoy!

For my cranberry-orange jam recipe click here.


Ingredients:


  • 1 c gluten free flour, any kind (my Nana uses 1/2 c spelt flour + 1/2 c millet flour)
  • 1 c yellow cornmeal, Non-GMO
  • 3 tbs baking powder
  • 1 egg, beaten (or flax egg substitute for vegan)
  • 2 1/2 tbs butter, ghee, or coconut oil - melted
  • 1 c milk (dairy or non-dairy)
  • extra butter, ghee, or coconut oil for greasing
  • 1/4 c cranberries, blueberries, canned or fresh corn - optional


Directions:


  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
  2. Grease a baking dish (my Nana used an 8x8)
  3. Combine all of the dry ingredients in one bowl
  4. Combine the egg, butter, and milk in another bowl
  5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mix just to combine (do not over-mix)
  6. Add mix-ins, optional (I recommend cranberries and corn!)
  7. Add mixture to greased baking dish
  8. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until done



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are important, I would love to hear from you!