Thursday, February 19, 2015

Treats are treats. But I thought it was paleo?!




Everyone has the tendency to put foods into the "health halo" because the ingredients fall under a certain category. 

But, just because a food is organic, non-GMO, vegan, grain-free, paleo, sugar-free, gluten-free, or dairy-free, it does not mean its good for you. 

We like to forget that a paleo treat is still a treat. Unfortunately, a "healthy label" does not give you a free pass to eat as much as you want, whenever you want.



Why Paleo Treats are Still Treats:


  • Sugar is sugar. It essentially doesn't matter if you are eating coconut sugar or refined white sugar (The glucose-fructose ratio may be better between choices, and one is much more chemically processed, ewww, but it's still sugar and will take its toll on your body)


  • It promotes cravings. For many, it is too tempting to have sweets around all the time and not eat them.

  • They hinder weight loss.  They are usually high in calories and super easy to overeat. 

  • Nuts. Paleo baking can add up to a large use of nuts and nut flours - there is such thing as too much of a good thing. 

  • Nutrient Density. Most baked goods are typically not nutrient dense - they take the place of better food choices.

  • Whole Foods. (referring to #5) Eating a large amount of baked goods - sweet or not - doesn't stand up to the real food philosophy of focusing on whole, nutrient dense foods.

  • #1 Issue - They become a diet staple. Paleo versions of baked goods give people the idea that it is okay for "treats" to be a large part of their diet.


  • You're not satisfied. I didn't say this but... Sometimes the real thing is just better than the paleo version - not going to lie! (like birthday cakes from the bakery, sprouted breads, and ice cream from the farm stand)






Then why do I still make paleo treats?

I like having a healthier option when I want dessert, and I've learned not to deprive myself of having something sweet and delicious when I want it. 

Sure all of the things I said above are true, but in the end I still like to eat desserts. I'm only human! I just try and stay true to my whole food philosophy as best I can when baking. 


That means 90% I'm making my own Paleo desserts from scratch when I want something sweet. 
(The other ten percent is vanilla ice cream with rainbow sprinkles ;) I'm not perfect and proud!!!) 


My trick is to always have something paleo baked ahead of time. I stash them in my freezer and simply reheat them when I'm in the mood - that way I'm never stuck elbow deep in the regrettable cookie jar.






Remember: Enjoying life is way way way more important than sticking to a way of eating that makes you miserable. So don't fear that occasional cave to your favorite non-paleo treat.




The main goals is to enjoy foods that you can feel good about eating!








****** I am not certified in any health-related field. I am not giving medical advice, I am only sharing what worked for me!***********

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are important, I would love to hear from you!