Sunday, February 15, 2015

My Eating Guide

Note: this is how I eat.


I have had success with eating by these guidelines, but everyone is different. Make sure you choose what works for you and listen to your body.


For more specific information on what I eat, check on my "Optimal Food Choices" post here.



But if you're curious... this is what I do:

  • In my diet I emphasize the best sources of protein, carbs, and fats from the "best sources" list below - along with vegetables, probiotics, fruits, nuts, and seeds
  • I watch my intake of the foods in the "be mindful" list below
  • In my diet I de-emphasize: grains, legumes, soy, sweeteners, most dairy, and baked goods
  • Dairy and gluten can be a big problem for a lot of people! I choose not to eat gluten unless it is from sprouted bread, and I mainly only eat diary from organic plain greek yogurt and kefir. But listen to your body and do what works for you personally.


Best sources of:


protein: lean meats, eggs, seafood, greek yogurt, tempeh

fat: olives, egg yolks, avocados, coconuts, ghee (clarified butter), fats from grass-fed animals and wild-caught fish, nuts and seeds

carbs: vegetables like winter squashes and potatoes, fruits like apples and bananas, white or wild rice, quinoa, lentils, buckwheat groats

Be Mindful of:


grains and legumes: they do contain nutrition, but can easily lead to a diet high in carbohydrates, which is not optimal. They also tend to replace better sources of calories and nutrients.

soy: it is only fine fermented, organic, and in very small doses. Processed soy like tofu and soy protein is not my idea of a healthy food, so it is not in my diet.

nuts and seeds: these are a very high calorie food, so I keep it to about a 1/4 cup of nuts or nut flour, or about 2 tbs of nut butter (note: peanuts are a legume not a nut!)

oils: I do not eat any highly refined industrial seed oils because they are very inflammatory and contain high levels of Omega-6 fatty acids (ex: canola, corn, peanut, safflower, etc.)

condiments: make sure they have no industrial seed oils or added sugars snuck in! good news: it's usually fairly easy to make your own version ;)

baked goods: even "healthy" baked goods should not be a staple food in your diet (even if they are grain-free, gluten-free, etc.)

sweeteners: I use glucose over fructose - which is why I choose to avoid agave, fruit juices, and sodas. all sugar is basically empty calories (although there seems to be some benefits in consuming raw honey) - if i need a sweetener I stick with raw honey and real maple syrup

chemicals: try to avoid pesticides by choosing organic foods (especially the dirty dozen) Also, when buying cans be careful of BPA! (to be safer make your own or choose a product that comes in glass or another type of container)



******* I am not certified in any health-related field. I am not giving medical advice, I am only sharing what worked for me!***********


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are important, I would love to hear from you!